Belarus delegation visits Cyprus CSI
Posted by civilsocietyindex on December 14, 2009
From October 24 to October 28 2009, a delegation of Belarusian government representatives, parliamentarians and civil society representatives involved in implementation of the Civil Society Index visited the Republic of Cyprus to exchange experiences and learning with Cypriot implementers of the project and supporters of civil society. During the five day trip, the delegation worked with partners on plans for greater future collaboration.
Made possible with the support of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) office in Minsk and with the assistance of CIVICUS, the trip enabled project staff from the Support Centre for Associations and Foundations (SCAF) and members of the CSI Advisory Committee in Belarus to meet and exchange ideas with representatives from Cypriot government and the CSI implementers in Cyprus, the Management Centre of the Mediterranean and the NGO Support Centre.
Highlights of the trip for the Belarus delegation included a roundtable discussion with representatives from Cypriot NGOs and Mr Constantinos Stylianou, Head of the Cyprus Youth Board. The roundtable explored best practices in youth work and possibilities for closer cooperation between youth NGOs in Cyprus and Belarus. By the end of the meeting, participants had committed to developing an Agreement of Cooperation between youth umbrella organisations in the two countries.
The Belarus delegation also had the opportunity to get practical tips on implementation of the Civil Society Index from Ms Lorraine Marriott, CSI project coordinator with the Management Centre of the Mediterranean, and Mr Michalis Avraam, Executive Director of the NGO Support Centre, as well as sharing their own perspectives.
The 5-member Belarusian delegation included:
- Alexandr Yushkevich (Civil Society Index Advisory Committee): Member of the Belarus Parliament, Chairperson of the Belarus Association of Youth NGOs and member of the Civil Society Advisory Council to the Belarus Presidential Administration.
- Yury Tsaryk (Civil Society Index Researcher): Information and Analytical Centre at the Presidential Administration
- Oleg Slizhevsky (Civil Society Index Advisory Committee): Head of the NGO Department, Belarus Ministry of Justice
- Iouri Zagoumennov (Civil Society Index Project Coordinator): Director of the Support Centre for Associations and Foundations (SCAF) and member of the Civil Society Advisory Council to the Belarus Presidential Administration.
- Svetlana Senko (OSCE Office in Minsk)
Click here to visit the website of the Support Centre for Associations and Foundations (SCAF), CSI implementers in Belarus.