International Human Rights day on the 10th of December 2010 marks the 62nd anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This unique declaration, supported by the countries within the UN, sets out 30 common standards that all human beings – whoever they are and wherever they are – should have the right to. This year, we’re trying to put Human Rights day on the map by building a community of people who will take a simple action on the day and throughout the year.
Albie Sachs, human rights champion and former Constitutional Court Judge appointed by Nelson Mandela took time to talk about going Barefoot For Human Rights.
The Barefoot Campaign is coordinated by Every Human Has Rights but it’s a platform for everyone to use to help promote human rights issues. You can go barefoot for education, for peace, for the rights of indigenous people and much more.
1.4 billion People are still living in extreme poverty, their right to a healthy living free from want being denied. By going barefoot against poverty, you are taking a first step for human rights – thinking about people who barely have food to put on their table, let alone shoes to put on their feet.
Please take your first step for human rights and spread the word. You can take action by:
- Registering your support on the website www.barefootagainstpoverty.org
- Why not create a small event, or have a barefoot moment as part of what you’re already doing on the 10th? You can go barefoot for education, health, against discrimination, etc – just use this as a platform! http://www.barefootagainstpoverty.org/index.php/take-action/
- We’ve got lots of tools you can use: http://www.barefootagainstpoverty.org/index.php/toolkit/
- Whatever you do please upload your pics and videos of going barefoot (you may recognise some faces already here): http://www.barefootagainstpoverty.org/index.php/barefoot-against-poverty-videos/
Spread the word:
- Join and share the FB event http://www.facebook.com/EveryHumanHasRights?v=app_2344061033
- Check out our blogger Emily who’s living off one pair of shoes for the month www.barefootagainstpoverty.org/shoeamonth
- And help us tweet out: @EHHRights #barefoot
- There’s lots of information for you http://www.barefootagainstpoverty.org/index.php/poverty/